The SAWN is an effort to Organise the women teachers in the EI member organizations in the South Asia. The main reasons behind establishing SAWN are as follows –
• Unite and unionise women teachers in enabling them to fight their concerns that are affecting them in the region collectively and unitedly.
• Devise the strategies to mobilize, encourage and support women in the region to become more active and more involved to take responsibility for women’s issues.
• Establish a Forum to give voice to the women in the region
• Provide an avenue for women to share, contribute, plan and recommend the programmes and policies for their advancement.
• Form a communication structure which facilitate women to establish linkage building, exchange information, define their needs and prioritize and prepare plan of actions.
• Translate the Education International (EI) policy on women into practice to achieve equality for women.
General Objectives of SWN –
Organize, unite and unionize women teachers to improve their participation in the teaching profession and teachers’ unions and fight their concerns collectively and unitedly.
Mobilize, support and encourage women to become more involve and actively participating in the union’s day to day activities and issues and empower them to be able to defend their human labour and trade union rights.
Ensure adequate and proportionate participation of women in membership, leadership positions and decision making bodies of the teachers’ organization in the South Asia.
Form communication structures which facilitate women to establish linkage building, exchange information, define their needs and priorities and plan strategies and actions.
Establish a forum to give voice to women and provide them an avenue to share, contribute, plan and recommend the programmes and policies for their advancement.
Promote the inclusion of a gender perspective in the union’s agenda and mainstream the women’s network and its activities in the union and its activities.